Disclaimer

*THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE OURS PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS.

Monday, April 13, 2009

4/13/09 - Santa Cruz, CA (Scott)

Phew -- I'm exhausted. We just got back from spending the day in nearby Moss Landing, kayaking Elkhorn Slough and munching on fresh seafood at famed Phil's Fish Market & Eatery.

We set our alarm early this morning and were out of our hotel by 8am. Our first stop was at Aldo's, a local diner right on Santa Cruz harbor. Our buddy Garrett recommended it -- thanks, Garrett! The food was quite tasty and the setting was spectacular. Afterward we got to take a short walk to the end of the harbor and admire the city's relatively new lighthouse. The morning was pretty clear and we could see all the way to the Boardwalk.

It was a short 20-minute drive to Kayak Connection on Elkhorn Slough in Moss Landing, CA. After watching a 5-minute safety video, examining a map, and strapping on life vests and "water skirts," we found ourselves paddling a double kayak out of the marina. As many of you may know, neither Ashlee nor I have ever operated a kayak in our lives and we were a little worried about how we would fare. To be honest, after the initial difficulty of understanding the logistics of manuevring, things went very smoothly. Of course, kayaking in the slough is perfect for beginners. The water was extremely calm, there was no wind, and only a very mild current. It also helped that we were in a stable double kayak equipped with a rear rudder, which I got to operate in the second seat.

Kayaking on the slough was an incredible experience. Sorry I keep mentioning the word slough -- although I don't know exactly how to say it and I'm not sure what it means, it's my new favorite word. The second we paddled away from the dock, we found ourselves smack-dab in nature. Right on the shore less than 40 feet from us was a large group of harbor seals just lazing about. The guy we rented the kayak from told us that it is their birthing season, so we saw quite a few "pups." Most of them were just sunning themselves on the shore, but a few were also floating in the shallow water. Of those that were floating, all we were able to see were their flippers and their little snouts sticking out of the water. Ashlee said that their faces looked like little puppies without ears.

We also passed a large group of sea otters who were busy floating on their backs grooming themselves. Ashlee was so excited as we passed them, that I had to make sure to push hard on the rudder in the opposite direction from them to prevent her from trying to pet one of them.

As we made our way into the open slough, we allowed the slight current to carry us downstream as we admired the scenery. There were tons of birds of all different species -- sorry, but I forgot their individual names. For the most part, to me a bird is a bird, and other than pelicans and ducks, I'm not a big fan. Although it was really neat watching the different birds as they went gliding along the wind currents and zoomed right along the surface of the water. It was also really funny watching Ashlee get freaked out when a bird surfaced from an underwater dive just a few feet from her oar.

We allowed ourselves to float downstream for about 45 minutes and then spent an hour paddling our way back to the dock. Altogether, I think we covered about four miles -- and we took pictures along the entire way. We had such a great time. Thanks, Grandpa Jon, for suggesting this to us!

Back on dry land we returned the equipment (Ashlee was sad to part with her water skirt), and then we got back into Hamish and headed to lunch. Along with the kayaking idea, Grandpa Jon also told us about this amazing local restaurant called Phil's Fish Market & Eatery just off Highway 1. Phil, the restaurant's founder (duh), was actually recently featured on the Food Network's "Throw-Down w/ Bobby Flay." Phil's specialty is his cioppino, a sort of seafood stew with a tomato and garlic base complete with shrimp, scallops, mussels, clams, salmon, and crab legs. I'm not going to lie, I've been looking forward to today's lunch for a couple of months now.

The food was fantastic! Ashlee went with a crab-salad sandwich and I, of course, got the "cioppino in a bun." It came to the table served in a large sourdough bread bowl and I knew I was in for a treat. It certainly did not disappoint. After lunch, we could barely walk to our car, but somehow we did it.

Now we are back in our hotel room resting for a bit. Ashlee just dozed off waiting for Oprah to come on at 4pm -- sorry, this blog is making Ashlee seem like quite the couch-potato. She does love her shows though.

Oops, she just woke up and now she wants to go get some tea and dessert. I guess I can do that. Let's see, tonight we don't have any plans other than soaking up some more of Santa Cruz. Perhaps we will just hang out near the beach tonight and grab a late (and light) dinner at another recommended restaurant, the Crow's Nest -- damn the budget!

I was also just reading that Amy Goodman, head of my favorite radio program Democracy Now!, is actually in town and making an appearance tonight to promote her new book. I think tickets may be sold out, but it would be really neat to see...

No comments: