Knowing that we needed to be inside the park for our guided scenic tour at 8:45am, we got up at 6am this morning and were out the door by 7. Our plans for an early start were a bit spoiled, however, by the fact that Springdale is a very sleepy town and pretty much nothing is open that early in the morning. I was looking forward to some more world-class Bumbleberry pancakes, but the restaurant that serves them was dark. We looked to see if there were any hours posted, but we only saw a sign saying "Open AM." WTF, what does that mean? We walked across the street to another breakfast place called Oscar's. We were hopeful because we saw lights on and people moving around. As we walked into the patio, we saw a server who told us that they wouldn't begin serving food until 7:30, but they had coffee ready -- to which Ashlee stuck her tongue out. Yep, I guess we're just a couple of city-slickers expecting restaurants to be open at 7 in the morning...
We did eventually find a place a few blocks down -- the Pioneer's Restaurant. All morning long I was fooling myself by saying that I'd just get a bowl of oatmeal and some fruit -- yeah right. I ended up getting the Pioneer's Skillet. I think the dang thing had everything in the restaurant's pantry in it: ham, potatoes, cheese, broccoli, squash, cauliflower, and celery with two overeasy eggs and garnished with bacon and sausage and toast. Oh lord. As I was eating (only half -- and just to give me some sustainable energy for our hike..er..bus ride) I was wondering what a European tourist would think about ordering such a breakfast. I was also dreading the waiter asking us what trail we were tackling today -- Observation Point at 9 miles? Angel's Landing at 13 miles? No, actually the 2-hour guided bus tour...
No comments:
Post a Comment