Disclaimer

*THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE OURS PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Kazakh! (Ashlee)

We have news!!! (Well for those of you who haven't heard through the grapevine of our parents) Scott and I found out last week that we will be placed in Bayan Olgii (Western Mongolia - don't let the online description of "barren" scare you, LOL), a region where most of the people are of Kazakh heritage. Our Mongolian language lessons abruptly ended on Friday (and we passed our Mongolian language test 3 weeks early) and we are now embarking on our first week of Kazakh language. Its even more different from English than Mongolian (if you can believe it) and involves a longer alphabet - I always knew that this would be the HARDEST part of training for me. The best part about all this is that SCOTT AND I SEE EACH OTHER EVERY DAY FOR LANGUAGE LESSONS! Rejoice! Its been a really nice change from only being able to talk on the phone.

We also moved from our original Mongolian host families to live with new Kazakh host families. They have both been very accommodating and are excited to speak with us in Kazakh. Scott was able to stay in the same town, but since my training site was so small, I am now living in UlaanBaatar (the big city, woo woo) in an apartment with a hot shower and Internet - I am quite content.

As Scott mentioned before, I also have a ton of pictures (including me riding a horse without an escort, thank you very much) that are just sitting on my computer waiting to be posted! Keep us updated on all the goings-on back home - we miss you guys :)

In other news, I found a store selling Heinz ketchup and Goober (jelly with peanut butter) and Krusteaz pancake mix and all kinds of beautiful, delicious things here in UB. Amazing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashlee,

I am glad that you and Scott have been reunited. I can't believe that you learned Mongolian so quickly. Wow! We just had a family party for Megan who turned 19 on Friday. Same old stuff here at home. I love your blogs. TTYL,
Love, Aunt Joanie

Nancy said...

Congratulations . . . it sounds like the two of you are doing well -- & you've just begun your PC adventure. The OCPCA Social Hours are attracting many, many people who want to serve, but with hardly any increase in the budget, not many are being processed. Glad you were accepted before the recession. Stay happy!
Best regards,
Nancy
Kyrgyzstan '97 - '00

Anonymous said...

scott and ashlee,
Hey guys! Its so nice to hear from you guys. The blog thing was a great idea. Its so interesting just to read about your adventures, I cant imagine what it is like to be in your shoes. I am so proud and happy for you both. Keep it up! cant wait to see the pics.

Joel A