Disclaimer

*THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE OURS PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Senior Picnic (Scott)

I spent my Sunday on a 14-hour picnic with one of my counterparts and her senior class. School works a little differently here -- the students stay in the same class through their entire academic career. Thus, my counterpart has been teaching English to these same kids for the past 5 years. As a result they are all extremely close -- which actually helped to make me feel even more like an outsider at times.

The day started at 8am when we all gathered at the school to hitch a ride in a large stakebed truck. Our destination was a spot in the countryside about 20 kilometers from Olgii. It was a beautiful (and bumpy) ride. We must have crossed 7 or 8 different little rivers and we only got lost 5 times. It's funny, the whole "men not asking directions" issue must only be an American thing. Our driver had no shame stopping at any ger or house we saw along the way, shutting off the engine, and beckoning to anyone who would walk us to the truck to verify we were on the right road. At one point he solicited directions from what must have been a 6-year-old who was fishing along the river banks.

We made it to our picnic site by 9:30 and the students wasted no time setting up camp. The entire set-up process was like a well-oiled machine. I never heard any directions given, but each student took to his or her own task. A cooking tent was assembled, wood was gathered, two fires were built, blankets were thrown down, and a volleyball appeared out of nowhere. It was definitely a well-stocked picnic. Over the course of the day we ate three separate meals (first a course of different salads, then a soup, and then a meat and potato dish) and there was always hot tea and cookies spread out for snacks.

The entire time I was just so amazed at how much energy these kids had. I mean they were constantly doing things. The only time I saw them sit was when they would eat. Other than that they were playing volleyball, wrestling, jumping rope, competing in relay races, singing songs, or dancing. When I explained my amazement to my counterpart, she asked me what American students do. I replied that most American students like to play video games, fiddle with their cell phones, or fool around on the internet. I also told her that perhaps America's biggest problem at the moment is obesity and heart disease. I didn't notice an ounce of fat on any of the students at the picnic.

So yeah, for the most part the picnic went well. There were a couple of times when I felt sorely out of place. Although these kids have been studying English for over 5 years, they are not at all accustomed to actually using it and they are terribly self-conscious about even trying. Thus I often had to rely on my very rudimentary Mongolian and Kazakh to communicate. It was great getting a chance to see these kids out of school though and I am happy that I went. I will be honest, however, and say that when 10pm rolled around and the 10ft bonfire had burned down to ashes, I was ready to go.

The ride home was a bit of an adventure. Call me a paranoid American, but a couple times throughout the day I tried to ask the driver if it would be difficult to navigate our way home in the dark -- like I said, we got lost 5 times in broad daylight! Each time I asked, however, he would just reply, "Kemjok" -- which is Kazakh for "It's ok!"

Needless to say we got lost a few times. My counterpart assured me that it was normal though. Each time our driver wasn't sure of the way, he would stop the truck, turn off the engine, and send a student out in the darkness to find someone who lived in the area. The student would return within a couple of minutes with a person who lived in a nearby ger who gave our driver directions and then we would set out on our new path -- only to get lost again 15 minutes later.

It was 11:30pm by the time I finally got home and I was bushed. The last thing my counterpart said before saying goodnight, however, was that the teachers at our school will be having a picnic of their own next week. So I guess I get to do it all over again on Saturday!





More pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2423948&id=6006255&l=e14ae7cd0d

No comments: