I am happy to report that this past Monday Ashlee and I packed up the contents of our small house and we moved to an even smaller apartment -- and we couldn't be happier! Our new home comes complete with running water, a flushing toilet (although it still can't take toilet paper), steam heat, and perhaps the fanciest shower we have ever seen in Mongolia. We even have hot water at the moment to boot -- although that will probably get turned off soon as both it and the steam heat are seasonal.
There was only a slight bit of awkwardness between us and our former landlords as we were moving out, but hey, what is life in Mongolia without a little awkwardness? Honestly, though, I don't think it was our fault. Ashlee's co-worker (who is also our landlord's sister) never told the family that we were moving -- we didn't tell them either because we had trouble with even the most basic communication let alone trying to explain the hazards of carbon monoxide poisoning -- so the news came as a bit of a bombshell to them. I can't really say that they were surprised though. I think they sort of expected us to move all along because they know that Mongolian house-life (not to mention ger-life) can be tough for "rich Americans." Oh well, we lasted 8 months there. I think that's enough to get the house experience.
Anyways, now that we are all situated, we thought we'd put together a little video showing off our new digs. We hope you enjoy it!
4 comments:
OMG, our apartment building, and our entrance even! we were top floor on the right! swankiest place in town ;-) enjoy the city living! hugs to saule and crew!
wow, four exclamation points - that video really got me excited(!)...and homesick...
Wow....that's definitely an upgrade. Thanks for the tour of your lovely apartment. No more COAL...what will Scott do now. And, no more scenery of cows outside your house. How sad? And no more trips to the out house in the negative degree weather. A house warming package will be on it's way soon from us...with SAMOAS!
Love, Aunt Joanie
Scottie and Ashlee, your new apt looks alot better than your old place for sure. Glad you are moving on up to the west side now. I will try you guys on skype later today, we just made it back from Virginia and will post some pics soon--Dad
Post a Comment