Undaunted by these prospects, we walked up the road a bit until we saw a few tables set up outside a canopy under which a smiling woman was dishing out food to a small crowd of locals. Jokingly looking around her hut for a food rating, we decided this was the place for us. The lady and her friend, who was in charge of a small drink stand, welcomed us right in and were eager to show off the dishes. Relying on our Peace Corps skills of using broken English and hand gestures to communicate, we managed to get a whole pineapple, a couple of deliciously tasty beignet-style donuts, and probably the best iced coffee I have ever had. As we were tucking into our meal, I took a look to see what sort of food the locals were eating. It appeared to be white rice topped with boiled chicken along with small packets of homemade sauce and sliced cucumbers. I got the lady’s attention and ordered us a dish. It was great! It also came with a bowl of soup flavored with cilantro, green onions, and fried onions.
Sitting there with those people and enjoying our little improvised breakfast, I think we both realized exactly how much we have come to love and enjoy Thailand. I don’t think we can rave about it enough.
Oh yeah, the other nice part about our meal was when it came time to settle the bill, the total was only 90B – about $3! To put it in perspective, that is about what I spent on my large iced latte at that fancy coffee shop on PP and it’s actually 10B less than a single beer at the Seaside Cottages!
Now let’s just hope we don’t get sick…
PS – In case I haven’t mentioned it before, what makes Thai iced teas and coffees so good is the copious amounts of condensed milk and simple syrup they contain. Thais are known for their sweet tooths.
No comments:
Post a Comment