I just checked the status of my order and I saw that my Kindle (a birthday gift made possible by my wonderful in-laws -- thanks Dad & Edie!) is set to ship March 4th. For those of you who don't know, a Kindle is a wireless reading device sold by Amazon.com. It's roughly the size of a paperback book and you can download books onto it for a small fee. Using its internal memory (and an additional memory card if I need it) the Kindle can hold hundreds of books. I have been busy browsing Amazon's Kindle Store and I'm excited at their selection. New e-books are about 50% cheaper than they are in paper-format, but I'm most excited about the classics -- you can buy entire anthologies (Shakespeare, Dumas, Twain, Austen, etc.) for about $5 each. At least that is my understanding. I'll let you know how it actually works out when my Kindle is shipped.
My hopes are that this will be the perfect device for me during our time in the Peace Corps -- my only worries are that I won't be able to keep it fully charged and/or that it won't be able to stand the wear-and-tear. Hmm, only time will tell I suppose.
1 comment:
This is GREAT Burt! I can't wait to read about all your adventures. You did things right Burt... xoxo An!
Post a Comment