Disclaimer

*THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE OURS PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

We're Still Alive

by Scott

I know, I know, it's been a long time since my last post -- has it been a month, already? I'm actually writing this from UB. We had to come back a couple of weeks ago for some medical stuff. No worries, we are both fine. In fact, the most interesting part of our whole trip was actually just getting here. Peace Corps booked our flight, as usual, and we were scheduled to leave on a Wednesday morning. On Tuesday morning, we got a call from Peace Corps saying that the pilot wanted to leave that afternoon and he was wondering if that would be OK with us. What the what? We said we'd be fine with that and we were told to be at the airport at 5pm. An hour later we got a call from the airline saying to be at the airport in an hour. Ahh, Mongolia. Long story short, we hustled to get packed, we found a ride, and we got to the airport on time -- only to sit for 2 hours until the plane actually left. When we got to UB, we were greeted by the worst traffic we have seen yet in this country and the weather was in the high 30s. Wonderful, huh?

Anyways, we are here now and staying in one of UB's lovely guesthouses where we are enjoying hot showers and a close proximity to our favorite cafe and various eateries. We've mostly been lying low here, avoiding open manholes, and relaxing. The other day we did venture out and we got to see the movie Inception. We both enjoyed it.

This time-out from teaching has also afforded me the invaluable opportunity of giving my grad school application my undivided attention. I have decided to apply to a two-year Masters & Teaching Credential program at UCLA. I've spent the past week or so working on my personal statement. I've never liked writing those.

The weather here has been seesawing between the 40s and the 60s. Yesterday we did watch a little snowstorm blow through town from the comfort of a vegetarian cafe where we sipped tea and dined on risotto. We have been spending a lot of time with some fellow PCVs who are also in town on medical. We are happy to report that our friend and sitemate who had the severe eye infection is back in Mongolia. She has been healed and just the other day she was sent back to site. She is thrilled to be medically cleared and she is anxious to get to work.

The other big news is that tomorrow, September 27th, is our second wedding anniversary! While of course we would love to celebrate the day back home in southern California, preferably at Maggiano's with a bottle of champagne and a fat slice of cheesecake, we are just thankful to be together. We will mark the occasion instead our favorite restaurant, Hazara's, here in UB.

We will celebrate just in time, too, because on Tuesday I am headed back to Olgii while Ashlee will stick around for another week or so. I am actually looking forward to getting back to work. Even though school was only in session for 2 weeks before I left, I felt that I had found a groove with my counterparts and I hope to find it again. I've also got a few small projects cooking. Justin and I got funding approved from the local branch of World Vision to paint a huge map of the world (6ft x 12ft) on a wall in my school -- the idea is that it will help develop the geography skills of my school's students. We're also planning on hosting an Alcohol Abuse Awareness Week in mid-October and, of course, we need to do something for Halloween -- maybe a costume contest? Oh yeah, next weekend is also Eagle Festival so hopefully I'll have some good pictures to post.

So yeah, we are both still alive and kicking here in Mongolia. We've only got 9 and half months left!

No comments: